Friday, January 25, 2008

20 questions (part 1)

Today marks the beginning of a 4-part series on teacher man called 20 questions, in which I make up 20 questions and answer them. I'll give you a moment to gather yourself on the edge of your chair. Good? Good. Here we go.

1. How many movies have made you cry?
Interesting question. The answer is two. The first, I am not at all ashamed of. Field of Dreams. I've seen it a million times, but when Kevin Costner's character asks his dad if he wants to "have a catch" at the end...well, let's just say it tends to get a little dusty in the old Baker house. The second movie that made me cry I am somewhat ashamed of, but in the interest of honesty, I will reveal that it was...(drumroll)...Jersey Girl. And I know it had Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez (and George Carlin!), but it's about a guy whose wife dies while she's giving birth to their son, and that's sad--I don't care who you are. Anyway, it was like a minute, and my wife still brings it up whenever that stupid movie is on TBS. Whatever.

2. Have you ever had a cup of coffee in your entire life?
Nope.

3. What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?
I've eaten some strange stuff--elk meatloaf, a chocolate-covered cicada, an entire lemon slice (including the peel). But at gunpoint, I'd have to go with a squirrel potpie. My grandpa used to make it. Or at least he did once. And I had some.

4. Who is the greatest basketball player of all-time?
Larry Bird. I won't listen to that Michael Jordan nonsense. Jordan was a better defender, and he was better at dribble penetration. Bird was a better rebounder, a better passer, a better shooter, and he did what he did against significantly better competition that Jordan did. Significantly. If I'm starting a team today, and I get any player in history in his prime, I take Bird every day of the week. End of discussion.

5. Have you ever been in a play?
I have, actually. I played Guard in the Ripon College production of Bakkhai. I had the shortest speech in the play, but at least one audience member told me that she thought it was the best one. (Hey, Mom!) Anyway, I was the one that stood up to Pentheus and told him that Dionysos wasn't all that bad a guy. Took tremendous courage. And I am nothing if not tremendously courageous.

That's it for today. Catch #6-10 on Monday.

Later gators.

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Hey Alex. Just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading your blog since I followed Joe's page to it. I seriously think it's very interesting and entertaining. Most people write things like "Today I had a sandwich. Then I brushed my teeth. Then I went to the store and bought a new broom." Yours actually contain thought and insight. Keep it up.
-Jessi