Friday, April 11, 2008

top 100 songs (part 1)

A while back, my friend Becky suggested that a bunch of us compile lists of our top 10 favorite songs, then burn CD's and send them to each other. Seemed like a good idea, so we did. And my top 10 CD was ripped apart by my wife and friends. They thought it was ludicrous for me to claim that my 10 favorite songs were:

"Rising Sun," by Rusted Root
"We Should Be In Love," by Andy Davis
"New Slang," by The Shins
"Sucker," by John Mayer
"Photograph," by Jamie Cullum
"Jackson," by Dave Barnes
"Carry This Picture," by Dashboard Confessional
"Pictures To Prove It," by Lily Duncan
"Runnin' With The Boys," by Sam Baker
"Buckets of Rain," by Bob Dylan

And you know what? They were right. I know that because I just finished compiling a list of my top 100 favorite songs, and only 3 of those were even on that list. I was sloppy. So I'm rectifying that mistake by presenting you with a much more comprehensive list. The only rule for the Top 100 Songs of All-Time is that no artist could appear twice. (As a result, most songs also include a "Runner-Up"--the next song in line by that artist.) Today, you'll get #100-51; once you've had the weekend to let that sink in, you'll get the top 50 on Monday. Got your IPods ready? Good. Without further ado...

100. "Champagne Supernova," by Oasis
But you and I will never die. The world's still spinning around, we don't know why.
Runner-Up: "Don't Look Back in Anger"

99. "Basketcase," by Greenday
I am one of those melodramatic fools, neurotic to the bone no doubt about it.
Runner-Up: "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

98. "99 Red Balloons," by Goldfinger
Worry, worry, super scurry. Call out the troops now in a hurry.
Runner-Up: Umm...

97. "Hey Jealousy," by Gin Blossoms
Tomorrow we can drive around this town, let the cops chase us around.
Runner-Up: "Follow You Down"

96. "Still The Night," by The Bodeans
I like the way you dance. I like the way you paint your lips.
Runner-Up: "Good Things"

95. "Rainbow Connection," by Kermit the Frog
Have you been half asleep, and have you heard voices? I've heard them call my name.
Runner-Up: "It's Not Easy Being Green"

94. "Time After Time," by Cyndi Lauper
Lying in my bed, I hear the clock tick and think of you.
Runner-Up: "She Bop"

93. "Sweet Child O' Mine," by Guns N' Roses
Her hair reminds me of a warm, safe place where as a child I'd hide.
Runner-Up: "Paradise City"

92. "Amazing," by Aerosmith
And I'm sayin' a prayer for the desperate hearts tonight.
Runner-Up: "Janie's Got A Gun"

91. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," by The Band
Virgil Caine is my name, and I drove on the Danville train.
Runner-Up: "The Weight"

90. "No Rain," by Blind Melon
All I can say is that my life is pretty plain, and I like watchin' the puddles gather rain.
Runner-Up: "Soup"

89. "In My Room," by The Beach Boys
There's a world where I can go and tell my secrets to.
Runner-Up: "Little Deuce Coupe"

88. "Oh, Pretty Woman," by Roy Orbison
I don't believe you, you're not the truth. No one could look as good as you.
Runner-Up: "Blue Bayou"

87. "La Bamba," by Richie Valens
Yo no soy marinero. Soy capitan, soy capitan.
Runner-Up: "Donna"

86. "Space Oddity," by David Bowie
Commencing countdown, system's on. Check ignition, and may God's love be with you.
Runner-Up: "Ziggie Stardust"

85. "Bad Day," by Daniel Powter
You sing a sad song just to turn it around.
Runner-Up: "Jimmy Gets High"

84. "Like A Prayer," by Madonna
I hear you call my name, and it feels like home.
Runner-Up: "Like A Virgin"

83. "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone," by Bill Withers
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone, and she's always gone too long anytime she goes away.
Runner-Up: "Lean On Me"

82. "December 1963 (Oh, What A Night)," by The Four Seasons
You know I didn't even know her name, but I was never gonna' be the same.
Runner-Up: "Walk Like A Man"

81. "Fast Car," by Tracy Chapman
You've got a fast car, and I've got a plan to get us out of here.
Runner-Up: "For You"

80. "Around The Bend," by Tony Lucca
And it's one more night, another shot gonna' make things alright. I'll play one more song and I'll be feeling fine.
Runner-Up: "Death Of Me"

79. "Rising Sun," by Rusted Root
I got us some milkshakes. Now let's head off and see the show.
Runner-Up: "Magenta Radio"

78. "Stuck In The Middle With You," by Stealers Wheel
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Here I am.
Runner-Up: "Star"

77. "Banana Pancakes," by Jack Johnson
We could close the curtain, pretend like there's no world outside.
Runner-Up: "Taylor"

76. "Buddy Holly," by Weezer
What's with these homies dissin' my girl? Why do they gotta' front?
Runner-Up: "Jamie"

75. "Meet Virginia," by Train
Daddy wrestles alligators. Mama works on carbeurators.
Runner-Up: "Drops Of Jupiter"

74. "Come Go With Me," by The Del Vikings
I need you darlin', so come go with me.
Runner-Up: "Cool Shake"

73. "Ode To Billie Joe," by Bobbie Gentry
And she and Billie Joe was throwin' somethin' off the Tallahatchie Bridge.
Runner-Up: "Let It Be Me"

72. "Don't Touch My Hat," by Lyle Lovett
I wear a seven, and you're out of order. I can tell from here you're a seven and a quarter.
Runner-Up: "If I Had A Boat"

71. "Good Morning Son," by Ben Folds
And everybody knows it sucks to grow up.
Runner-Up: "Kate"

70. "Glory Days," by Bruce Springsteen
I've got a friend, was a big baseball player back in high school.
Runner-Up: "Born To Run"

69. "General," by Dispatch
He grew a beard as soon as he could to cover the scars on his face and always urged his men on.
Runner-Up: "Out Loud"

68. "Ain't That A Kick In The Head," by Dean Martin
Like the sailor said, quote, "Ain't that a hole in the boat?"
Runner-Up: "Standing On The Corner"

67. "Mr. Jones," by Counting Crows
If I knew Picasso, I'd buy myself a gray guitar and play.
Runner-Up: "Rain King"

66. "Lose Yourself," by Eminem
There's vomit on my sweater already, mom's spaghetti.
Runner-Up: "Stan"

65. "Wish You Were Here," by Pink Floyd
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year.
Runner-Up: "Another Brick In The Wall"

64. "Johnny B. Goode," by Chuck Berry
He never ever learned to read or write so well, but he could play a guitar just like ringin' a bell.
Runner-Up: "You Never Can Tell"

63. "Funky Cold Medina," by Tone Loc
Like Mick Jagger said, I can't get no satisfaction.
Runner-Up: "Wild Thing"

62. "Mack The Knife," by Bobby Darin
You know when that shark bites with his teeth, dear, scarlet billows start to spread.
Runner-Up: "Beyond The Sea"

61. "Rhinestone Cowboy," by Glen Campbell
I've been walkin' these streets so long, singin' the same old song, I know every crack in these dirty sidewalks of Broadway.
Runner-Up: "Wichita Lineman"

60. "Tears In Heaven," by Eric Clapton
Beyond the door, there's peace I'm sure, and I know there'll be no more tears in heaven.
Runner-Up: "Wonderful Tonight"

59. "New Slang," by The Shins
Godspeed all the bakers at dawn. May they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns till they melt away.
Runner-Up: "Caring Is Creepy"

58. "Fly Me To The Moon," by Frank Sinatra
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars.
Runner-Up: "My Way"

57. "Georgia On My Mind," by Ray Charles
Georgia, a song of you comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines.
Runner-Up: "Hallelujah, I Love Her So"

56. "Hotel California," by The Eagles
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, warm smell of colitas rising up through the air.
Runner-Up: "Peaceful, Easy Feeling"

55. "That Was A Crazy Game of Poker," by O.A.R.
Johnny doubled-up with a royal flush. I've got three jacks and a pair of nines.
Runner-Up: "3 A.M."

54. "Redemption Song," by Bob Marley
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.
Runner-Up: "Three Little Birds"

53. "Don't Take The Girl," by Tim McGraw
I'll gladly take her place if you'll let me make this my last request: Take me out of this world, but please don't take the girl.
Runner-Up: "Red Ragtop"

52. "The Thunder Rolls," by Garth Brooks
Tonight will be the last time she'll wonder where he's been.
Runner-Up: "That Summer"

51. "Feels Like Home," by Chantal Kreviazuk
A window breaks down a long dark street, and a siren wails in the night.
Runner-Up: "Until We Die"

Tune in Monday for the top 50.

Later gators.

No comments: